You win some, you lose some...

Well...finding a job is going to be harder than I expected. I had my interview, and it went great...except that I'm not Belgian! Apparently, you have to have a permit (which we weren't told about pre-move) and you have to be sponsored to get one...which they don't tend to do unless your Belgian. And, if sponsored, it could take up to 8 months until I receive the permit, and I couldn't get paid until then. So...any ideas? All in all, I'm holding up pretty well with the news...although I'm working really hard to think outside of the box and maybe come up with a job! Stephen thinks I could sell pigeons at the Sunday markets--not sure I have the stomach for that!
In other (more exciting) news, I've finished my personal 10K. I didn't make t-shirts this time, but next time I'm pondering having t-shirts and sports bottles for my fans! I'm going to call it "Dotson vs. the Meuse." I face the river everyday...and sometimes I win :) Also, we got a DRYER!!!! I never thought I was truly high maintenance, but apparently our landlord thinks so! She had an extra one, and I was the lucky recipient! You have no idea how exciting this is, after trying to dry dress pants and jeans and having to wait three days until they are dry, and stiff! We'll see what the product of the dryer is. My expectations are low!
Our plan is to head to Brugge on Saturday, which I'm really excited about! I've got a list of things I want to see...and the locals say it's the creme de la creme of European architecture--you know I'm PUMPED!! So, stay tuned, and have a safe weekend!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the job situation - but not surprised. It happened to me in Martinique, and to my parents in Malta. But with time, you find something. Whether it's teaching on the side, or someone who will hire you "sans" papers....

In the meantime, enjoy your free time and explore.

Veronique

Anonymous said...

OK - the dryer is your enemy. Be careful, it wants to shrink your stuff. Especially your jeans. Vinegar all things dark - the washer is their enemy.

ALSO, what is your Visa for? Do you have a self-employment clause? I might be able to help.

No to the pigeons. Tell Stephen to stop.